Tuesday 13 October 2020

Birthdays and Berkshire B!


Well, well.... Would you believe it? Singapore Dividend Collector has turned 40! 

It's one of those milestones in life that happens to other people, isn't it? It'll never happen to me, for I'm still too youthful and sprightly. Ha!

News flash! It has happened. Happy big 40 to me! (a few days ago)

So, what the heck have I been up to then?

Well, I recently made a rather large investment into Berkshire Hathaway B. This has been something I've been obsessing over for a long time, and I finally pulled the trigger at $212. According to my calculations, this is a decent price moving forward, considering Buffet, Munger and the rest create about a 10% return for shareholders. As always, this is a stock I intend to hold for a long time, and why not considering the quality of the businesses Berkshire owns, the amazing business culture there and also the potential for the company - with or without WB or CM. I'm not one of those investors who runs after the next big thing (although I might do with ??) I feel paying $212 is still decent value, and obviously so did Buffet as this was the average price he bought shares back over the past year or so. Thus, if it's good enough for the great man, then, my God, it's good enough for me.

This is my first foray into the US stocks, and presently I'm happy with my decision. Honestly, I researched this purchase in micro-detail to avoid any slip ups. In the past, I've been a little trigger happy and make some mistake, but I've learned from these and have grown as an investor. 

So, my plan moving forward is to use my Singapore portfolio to harvest dividends which I'll continue to reinvest into STI counters when the price is right. Also, Berkshire will be my steady growth engine (slow and steady wins the race etc.) 

I'm comfortable with this approach, so let's see if it works moving forward.

What do you think out there in internet-land?


2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Thanks for sharing your portfolio and investment journey. I'm trying to reach your portfolio value in a couple of years too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you 1msreits! Please stay in touch. I'm a big fan of S-REITs too. What counters do you have your eye on at the moment?

    ReplyDelete

January 2021 Portfolio Update