Tuesday 1 September 2020

What are the lemons, the keepers and the stars in your Singapore portfolio?

 


Right, so here we all are into another new month. Can you believe it's September 2020 already? It's hard to fathom, isn't? Well, take a deep breath folks, it's true. 

What a year it has been so far for investors with some counters blasting into orbit and others sinking down to the dark depths. Let's have a look at this and decide whether I should cut my losses on a few bad performers (lemons) or hold on for dear life and pray for some divine intervention.


Here's my portfolio 2-9-20 which I have been building since 2005.


SATS
Keppel Corp
Singtel
Keppel DC REIT
ThaiBev
AimAMP Cap REIT
CapitaMall Trust
Capitalcom trust
Ascenads REIT
Nikko AM ETF
SGX
Singpost
Starhub
UOB
Kingsman Creative
Sheng Siong
DBS
Accordia Golf Trust
AscottREIT
Capital land Commercial Trust
First Reit
Global Investments
Frazer Comm Trust
Wilmar International
Ascendas-h-trust
ICBC (HK)
Centurion

As you can see I invest primarily for dividends which I reinvest back in to the portfolio 3/4 times per year.

The Corona pandemic has not been good to us investors, and my portfolio has suffered. Thus, I will divide it into three parts:

1. Lemons (stocks I might dump)
2. Keepers (stocks performing understandably in the current circumstances, but I like it's dividend/future potential)
3. Stars (stocks shining brightly in the sky)

---

1. The Lemons

Singpost

I bought this back in 2016 when finding stock picks was like pissing in the dark. I hadn't a clue where to aim. My thinking at the time was that Singpost would do well from the emerge online retail markets and than it paid an ok dividend. I saw it as a long term, safe, dividend play. Well, the dividend is still there - currently 3.86% - but the stock has been hammered - currently trading at 0.7. It was 1.97 in Jan 2015. That quite a drop, and with the divided so low, a terrible investment. What the future hold for this stock doesn't look promising.

Starhub

I bought this stock again for the long term dividend opportunities, not really digging any deeper. As we all know, its fall from grace has been rather dramatic and its dividend unsustainable. Dam you Starhub!

Kingsman

When I bought this back in 2016, I was attracted by its decent balance sheet and dividends. That said, the last few years have not been kind. Presently, it dividend looks a bit silly at over 11%. How much longer can this small cap last in world with restricted travel and cancelled conferences?

---

2. The Keepers

SATS/Keppel Corp/ThaiBEV/AIMS REIT/CapitalMall/CapitalCOM/Ascendas/NIKKO ETF/UOB/DBS/Accott Trust/Capitalland Comm Trust/First REIT/Global Investments/Frazer Com Trust/ Ascendas H Trust/ICBC

A few notes on this lot. 

SATS has been shafted by Corona for sure, but I'm staying vested for the long term. People will travel when they can.

Keppel has been in the news as 
Temasek bottled the deal at the last minute. I still think this beast will bounce back and is still an OK long term hold. 
Aims REIT has been going sideways, but pays a solid divided and has good management.
CapitalMall will be grand long term as its malls are great locations. And let's face it, what else is there to do in Singapore?
Capital Com will be fine long term.
Ascendas has not been hot too badly and is a quality company. Long term hold.
NIKKO EFL was a silly investment for me after reading a Boogle book. Singapore continues to go sideways without innovative tech companies.
UOB/DBS/ICBC will be fine in the long term and pay good dividends.
Ascott has great locations and will be fine as the super rich need somewhere to stay in big cities.
Global Investments pays a good dividend and is steady enough. No debt as well. Hold long term.
Frazer Comm trust is solid, pays a good dividend and is backed by a strong sponsor.
Ascendas H Trust is fine in the long run.
ICBC is getting hammered at the moment, but will continue to grow as China does.
Centurian should cash in on the new government rules for Corona housing for workers and students. They are the main player and have a dam fine management team. Long term hold with a tasty dividend.

Note: I am holding on to FIRST REIT as it's down too much to let go at this stage. The sponsor is a joke and I don't have high hopes, but let's call this a white knuckle hold. Perhaps they will prove everyone wrong.

3. Stars

Keppel DC

What can I say...? Amazing

Wilmar

On fire and with investments in the company in place, this looks set to continue long into the future. They should raise the dividend in the future as well.

Sheng Siong

Thank you Corona...Thank you so much. People gotta eat etc etc.

Accodia Golf Trust

With the big meeting on the 16th Sept and the new deal, it looks like the deal will go though. This will be a big payout for us investors. 


---

OK, so that's about it. I could waffle on more but I won't. Let me know your thoughts below if you have an opinion.

Have a great day ahead.






No comments:

Post a Comment

January 2021 Portfolio Update